Sunday, February 12, 2006

More happiness ...

Another thing that made me happy this week was the outcome of the Grammys - the following introductory paragraph put a great big smile on my face:

U2 have won five prizes at the most prestigious US music awards, the Grammys, eclipsing the pre-ceremony favourites Mariah Carey and Kanye West.


Now I am not suggesting that I am a mad U2 fan but nothing could please me more to see almost anyone edging Mariah Carey out of an award. When she first came out I thought she had a pleasant enough voice and I dare say that she still does. However, what I cannot abide about her is her Prima Donna attitude - they call it being a Diva - I call it being a spoiled brat.

I saw her on a TV show a few months ago and oh dear the poor love - my heart bled for her when she realised that her microphone was too heavy for her poor little delicate arms to hold and she needed a microphone stand after all. And then there was her water - now most musicians that I have seen live like to have a drink on stage to keep the vocal chords lubricated. So did our little Mariah have a bottle of water on stage near her non-existant microphone stand? Did she have one behind her on the drum kit riser? Or even on top of Randy Jackson's bass amp? Oh no, she had her own little peon that dashed on stage with her bottle of Evian in between each song so she could take a drink.

What a bloody farce. So anyway, the grammy results made me smile - not so much because U2 won, but because Mariah Carey didn't. I am not saying that her music is not good - but I just can't support the success of someone that far up their own ass.

Other grammy news - Paul McCartney came away empty handed - this added to my pleasure since I honestly do feel that he is grossly over-rated.

On a more supportive note - I was absolutely delighted to see Kelly Clarkson pick up two grammys. I didn't really get into American Idol until the second season - so I can't say that I have been a Kelly fan since she won that. However, over the past year in my view she has gone to the next level and has become a true superstar in my view.

What of course I do not know is ... she might be just as much of a pretentious diva as Mariah appears to be. And in fact Mariah might be much less of a pretentious diva than I think she is.

But for now I shall continue to chuckle at Mariah only getting 1 grammy out of 5 nominations and U2 getting 5 grammys out of 5 nominations. Oh yes and Kelly getting 2 out of 2 !!

And finally, 19437 BBC website readers were asked "Did U2 deserve to eclipse Mariah Carey and Kanye West at the Grammys?" and 87% answered yes ... so I am clearly not alone in my happiness

No comments: