Saturday, April 22, 2006

American Idol ... they lied ...

or did they? The show this week was just a'ight for me - not really my kind of music. But I thought that Paris did an outstanding version of her song. Chris excelled. Catherine McPhee is starting to make me wanna puke - OK, sure, she is very good, but I just want to punch her sugary smiley face in. Taylor, was well, Taylor did a good job. I enjoyed Elliot's performance too. Kellie sure did "burrcher", that'll be butcher her song, but in my view all credit to her for saying so before the judges did. And Ace, well frankly, thank heavens he's gone, what a frigging cheeseball !!

BUT ... no way ... I do not believe for one minute that Paris and Chris received fewer votes from the 'merkin public than Elliot or Taylor ... unless 'merica is doing the normal stupid thing and voting for things other than who can sing the best.

OK I am biased and don't really like Catherine that much - but Cowell was blown away by her and if he was then she's probably excellent. Kellie might have pulled a sympathy vote. But come on - please - don't tell me that more people actually voted for Elliot and Taylor than voted for Chris and Paris.

There's a paragraph of small print that pops up at the end of the results show - and last night I used the "freeze" option on my TV to hold that. The first sentence says - Portions of this show which do not effect the outcome have been edited at the producers discretion - or words to that effect.

I honestly wonder if they lie about the actual bottom three to make the TV more sensational. As in:

Producer 1: "OK guys, Ace is gone, let's stick Chris and Paris in the bottom three with him as we'll get more oooooohs and aaaaaahs that way"

Producer 2: "Great idea Producer1. And guess what even more people will hit the website to express their disbelief on the forums thereby increasing our revenue stream from advertising on there"

Producer 3: "Yeah Producer2. And don't forget they'll tell all the friends how unbelievable it was and that'll put 5% on the viewing figures for next week"

Producer 4: "Yeah!"

Producer 4 is really just the tea boy - but he likes to feel involved.

Of course, I could just be an untrusting bugger and the american viewers and voters could just be totally barking mad.

No comments: