Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A bit sombre perhaps ...

... morbid even, but what is it about this time of year. I have a perception that a lot of famous people choose this holiday time of year to shuffle off the mortal coil.

This year - on Christmas Eve Charlie Drake, slapstick british comedian died. On Christmas Day James Brown, music legend and Godfather of Soul died. And on Boxing Day, Dennis Linde died, he wrote Elvis' Burning Love, the Dixie Chicks' Goodbye Earl and Garth Brooks' Callin' Baton Rouge.

Now my 3 at Christmas theory was feeling a bit tenuous with the inclusion of Dennis (sorry Dennis, but frankly, I had never heard of you despite those 3 songs being very well known). But then this morning I fire up the bbc news website and see that Gerald Ford, America's 38th President has died too. I don't have particularly strong feelings about American Presidents - either positive or negative, but I always quite liked Gerald Ford, he seemed OK to me and his wife has a fantastic legacy with her work against drug and alcohol addiction.

So interestingly I found a pub quiz help website which supports my theory a little bit, Dean Martin and Charlie Chaplin both having popped their clogs on Christmas Days. And at the same time informs me that I share birthdays with people such as Sir Issac Newton, Humphrey Bogart, Annie Lennox, Helena Christensen and Dido !!

Oh yeah check this out:

Christmas Eves
Christmas Days
Boxing Days

Don't you just love the internet?

No comments: