Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The drive home

So we checked out of the hotel after breakfast and then drove back to the top of Kirkstone Pass - about 1500 feet above the lake and since it was sunny were able to take some photos down into the valley below. Actually at the pass, you can't see back to Lake Ullswater, but you can see down the other side to Lake Windermere.

We drove about halfway down to Windermere when Marie said we've not really taken many pictures of the sheep (And the bleat goes on!) ... so we stopped and took some pictures of the sheep and the lambs.

And then we drove down and into Kendal. Which reminds me of something I meant to mention yesterday - driving back to the hotel along some very windy roads, so narrow at some points that there really was only one cars width available. We were going through small villages and hamlets that probably didn't even have the horse to allow them to be called "one horse towns". Anyway, I had my PDA running Tom Tom satelite navigation software so that we would eventually get back to the hotel. But I had forgotten to turn off the wireless network adaptor on the PDA and as we drove along through these no horse towns I was picking up loads and loads of wireless networks. It made me chuckle in a nerdy kind of way.

And today was the same, but different. After driving through Kendal we hit the M6 just north of Lancaster and all the way down to Stoke where we headed east towards Nottingham. All the way down the M6 - I had 3 wireless networks available - one was called Testbed, another was called T-mobile and I forget the other now. The possibilities are interesting though - again in a nerdy kind of way.

Anyway, we're home now. I'd like to back again soon - but for a little longer than just 3 days - we did pack rather a lot into yesterday in particular. It would be nice to be up there when it is a bit warmer, a bit sunnier and just be a bit lazier.

No comments: