Saturday, November 12, 2005

Dan Brown

So these days I read quite a bit more for pleasure than I used to do. But books have to grab my attention quickly - those that know me well will not be surprised by this. I am not patient, I like things to happen now and at some pace. So, if a book hasn't got my attention in the first chapter (or less) then it ain't gonna get it.

As a result, until quite recently I could number the books that I have really enjoyed reading as an adult on the fingers of one hand. And they would be Fatherland - Robert Harris, The Fourth Protocol - Fredrik Forsyth and I can't think of any more specific examples that don't have pictures in them! I've read quite a lot of factual stuff - reality tends to grab my attention more easily - example, I have read a number of books about Rush, and by Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush.

Don't recall exactly when but sometime in the last 2-3 years or so I got into the Harry Potter books and I found them tremendously engaging, easy to read and extremely enjoyable. The problem I had after reading them was finding something else that I enjoyed as much. But finally I did ...

Marie recommended that I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I could not put it down - what an absolutely tremendous book. I then followed this with the Da Vinci Code which again I enjoyed - but not as much as the Angels and Demons. And I found the end of the Da Vinci Code rather weak compared to the end of Angels and Demons. Even so, I'm looking forward to the movie of the Da Vinci Code coming out next year.

Lately, I've been reading Brown's Deception Point - perhaps not quite as compelling a subject matter as Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code but still a really good read in my view and again I felt it was paced better than DVC and certainly the ending was better and the twist in the tail was more of a surprise.

So, yes I am enjoying reading Dan Brown's books but so far my rankings are (1) Angels and Demons (2) Deception Point and (4) The Da Vinci Code. I have his other book, The Digital Fortress, ready to start reading next - I wonder what it will be like?

No comments: