Monday, November 07, 2005

Perspective

So anyway, Dan's home. His perspective "What's the problem? I went out on Saturday and came home on Sunday." Now for a normal person this might mean going out at 8pm Saturday evening and coming home in the wee small hours of Sunday. Now what Dan actually did was go out at 6am on Saturday and come home after midnight on Sunday, i.e. technically Monday morning. He doesn't understand why I am concerned - but then I am the parent and he is not.

I am discussing this difference in perspective and Dan is in the kitchen talking to Kim and he's bemoaning the fact that while he has been gone we've had "good food". Remember, now that this is a 17 year old's definition of good food.

What has actually happened is that Marie has been laid up all weekend with a very, very painful back problem. And so I have been even lazier than usual and it has been take-away-a-rama - chinese, pizza and even McDonalds. Kim explained the reason for this to Dan and his comment on Marie's situation was "every cloud has a silver lining".

In my own defence, I did heat up some baked beans and toast some bread last night as we could not face another takeaway. As a secondary level of mitigation I feel that I should point out that we do eat out / take away a lot at weekends as a matter of course.

And finally, in other news, the NHS, gotta love it. Went to the doctor's again this morning - they took my blood pressure again, higher than last time, and gave me a flu jab. Have to have a bunch of blood tests done early next week and go back again in about 6 weeks time. Also, these headaches I have been getting almost constantly now for about 6 months ... well guess how long I have had my "new" spectacles, yes, about 6 months. So, I need to make an appointment to see the optician too.

No comments: