Sunday, November 27, 2005

X-factor - Cowell does the dirty on The Conways

So in a week where Louis Walsh quit the X-factor but then of course turned up for tonights show as usual it all got a bit tense tonight.

There are six acts left and they're all pretty good and they're all getting a bit frayed at the edges.

Tonight though it was simple for me. Shayne did an outstanding rendition of The Darkness "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" - rather like a few weeks back when he did the Daniel Bedingfield song, it showed how incredibly good his voice is. Journey South did U2's "I still haven't found what I am looking for" - they're my favourite, but that song isn't one my favourite songs - it felt a bit disjointed to me, but what the heck those two guys ooze talent. Brenda covered a Whitney song - bah, I can't even remember which one to be honest - but she was simply amazing. Andy had a nervous start to his performance and fought passionately to hold his song together - but again there is no doubt that his voice is remarkable.

Then there's Mr. Entertainment - Chico - did another fun performance of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" and danced superbly. As a singer, he is not in the same league as Shayne, Andy, Brenda or the Journey South guys - but he's fun with a capital F.

And then, bless them, there's the Conway Sisters. Again they tried so, so hard with Starship's "We built this city" and you know what last year, they would have probably made the final. And they're a lot, lot better than many of the other "pop idol" products.

But in this company - it was entirely right that the bottom two tonight were Chico and the Conway Sisters.

And so it came down to the judges, Sharon of course, elected to keep Chico and said to the Conways "I'm sorry girls, but I think it is time for you to go home".

Now frankly - what I find remarkable is that during the show earlier Simon had said following Chico's performance that it was an awful, terrible Michael Jackson impersonation. And to the Conways he said "great song choice". So I was a little surprised that he elected to send his own act, The Conway Sisters home.

Seemed a bit inconsistent to me. But I don't disagree with his comment that "they're not going to win the competition with performances like that" but then in my view neither is Chico.

Was Simon trying to show that he is "big enough" to send home one of this own acts?

Once again despite all the furore in the press during the week with Louis "quitting" and the debates about this should be about the contestants and not about the judges - well here we are once again with a judge stealing the thunder.

Here's me wanting a black and white world again - but why can't they simply show the number of votes that the acts get each week and kick out the lowest one - instead of inflating the egos of these self-important judges a bit more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!